There’s nothing quite like the taste of vegetables harvested fresh from your own garden. Lucky us, in Sonoma County you can grow vegetables all year.
Being in the agriculturally rich area that we are, many Sonoma County residents have a natural affinity for gardening. However, some would-be gardeners need a little extra help before they grow into master gardeners. That’s where Friedman’s Home Improvement would like to help. In this week’s blog, we’ll give you a handy “How To” list for gardening and growing vegetables you can be proud of!
Choose the Location:
1. Choose a sunny location where your vegetables will grow easily.
2. Avoid planting near big trees and other plants that may fight with your vegetables for water and sunlight.
3. Choose an accessible location that is convenient to the kitchen.
4. Choose an area with good drainage.
Design the Garden:
1. Plan your garden in an area that will not be walked upon.
2. Plan on crop rotation to keep the soil fertile.
3. Plan for growing year-round so you can eat your home grown vegetables all year long.
4. Provide for irrigation with drip systems or overhead irrigation.
5. Be prepared to protect your plants from animal pests like birds, snails, rodents, deer, or insects.
Get Ready for this Year’s Planting:
1. Plant at the appropriate time. Start early crops in February to March, summer crops in April to May. When spring crops are harvested, it’s almost time to sow fall crops — fall and winter crops have to start in late summer and early fall.
2. Add compost and/or fertilizer to replenish the soil’s nutrients.
3. Mix in soil amendments and loosen soil. Your vegetables will thank you, and you’ll enjoy a bountiful harvest.
Plant Seeds or Seedlings:
1. Determine spacing between each plant.
2. Plant at the recommended depth.
Grow Your Garden:
1. Provide supports, poles, or trellises as needed.
2. Water as needed.
3. Protect your plants from animal pests.
4. Thin, if needed.
5. Control weeds.
6. Examine your garden for problems regularly.
Harvest Your Garden:
Harvest each vegetable at its peak, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
For help with gardening project ideas, garden tools, and landscaping supplies, seek out one of our friendly Team Member’s at Friedman’s Home Improvement. Either visit us at Friedman’s online or at one of our Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah stores, where you’ll get the lowest price and local advice.