Installing a Smoke / Carbon Monoxide Detector can save your life. A combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector is one of the best ways to ensure your family’s safety. They save lives and they’re easy to install. Friedman’s Home Improvement offers the following advice on installing Smoke/CO Detectors in your home.
Many home improvement projects can help save on energy costs, nothing helps saves lives like a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that ⅓ of homes in the United States are not protected by smoke/CO detectors.
There are different options and features in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It is wise to install a smoke/CO detector in every room of the house. They can either be battery operated or hard-wired to your home’s power supply. Here are the steps to install smoke/CO detectors:
- Put new batteries into the smoke/CO detector if needed.
- Determine where to place the unit on the ceiling, or on the wall 4 – 10 inches below the ceiling.
- Don’t place your smoke/CO detector too close to heating or air ducts, for these ducts may interfere with the operation of the unit.
- Mark where the screws will go with a pencil, then drill the holes for the screws.
- Insert expanding plastic sleeve anchors and gently tap with a hammer.
- Place the smoke/CO detector mount and secure it with screws.
- Attach the smoke/CO detector unit onto the mounted frame.
- Test the smoke/CO detector by pushing the test button and make sure that the detector works.
- Replace batteries as needed.
If you need to purchase smoke/CO detectors, batteries, and fire safety accessories, visit us any time either at Friedman’s Home Improvement online, or at one of our Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah stores, where you’ll get the lowest price and local advice.