A great New Year’s resolution that the entire family can participate in this year, is cutting back on the amount of waste we send to the landfill. Friedman’s Home Improvement suggests the following tips and ideas for “slimming your waste”:
● Place a recycle bin next to every garbage can, everywhere in your home and office.
● Buy a compost crock to dispose of food scraps. Doing so can divert 34% of landfill waste.
● Pack lunches in reusable containers.
● Use rechargeable batteries for your electronic gadgets.
● Recycle your aluminum cans.
● Carry your own reusable totes and bags when going to the grocery store or mall.
● Use old calendars, colorful pictures, etc. to make your own envelopes.
● Give your old newspapers to your local SPCA and pet shops for “puppy papers”.
● Recycle your old magazines by giving them to crafty friends.
● Bring your own mug to the coffee shop.
● Buy products made with recycled materials.
● For packaging, don’t buy Styrofoam peanuts. Reuse them when you receive them.
Reduce your junk mail by sending a postcard with your name(s) and address to:
Mail Preference Service,
Direct Marketing Association,
P.O. Box 9008,
Farmingdale, NY, 11735-9608
For additional ideas on how to reduce, recycle, and reuse, visit us any time either at Friedman’s online, or at one of our Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah stores, where you’ll get the lowest price and local advice.