Now that we’re in the throes of Summer, it’s time to protect your water bills from going sky high. That’s why the Xpert Advisors of Friedman’s Home Improvement have put together ten irrigation tips to help you save water:
1. Avoid planting plants that use a lot of water in isolated, hard to water areas. For example, plant drought resistant plants on the park strip by the sidewalk, or in the farthest reaches of your irrigation system.
2. Check your irrigation system regularly to make certain it is, indeed, watering your lawn and plants, rather than the street or sidewalk.
3. When you use a layer of organic mulch around your plants, it reduces evaporation, and that can save you lots of money over the long term.
4. Don’t use a hose to clean your driveway when you can use a broom instead.
5. Check your water meter and track your water usage. Do you see spikes of usage at certain times in the day? Make sure your automatic sprinkler system working at the times that work best for the Summer.
6. Only water your lawn when needed. If you leave footprints when you walk across your lawn, it’s time to water it.
7. Use greywater, like used bath water, to irrigate your lawn, rather than tapping into fresh water. If you don’t want to invest in an expensive greywater system, you can transport the greywater using buckets, or siphon it out of the bath tub via a hose and an open window out to the lawn.
8. To save water while planting, plant during Spring or Fall when it’s less hot.
9. Use low-flow drip irrigation to water flower beds, potted plants, porch plants, and raised garden beds.
10. Install a rain shut-off device on your automatic sprinklers to eliminate unnecessary watering.
Whether you are a landscape professional or just getting started with irrigation systems, our friendly and helpful staff in the gardening department are always happy to be of assistance. Our Xpert Advisors can help you gather all the irrigation supplies and sprinkler systems you’ll need to make sure your garden looks hydrated and beautiful all Summer long.
Visit any of our stores in Santa Rosa, Sonoma, and Ukiah to take advantage of our specials and promotions. Friedman’s Home Improvement: Lowest price. Local advice.