WHAT DO I NEED TO KEEP THINGS GROWING?
Herbs and vegetables like a lot of mild fertilizer to grow. Organic food provides a safe, slow-release option. Purchase the type of fertilizer you are most likely to use: Dry – scatter on the soil around the plants and gently mix in to the soil. Liquid concentrate – use a hose end sprayer or mix with water in a bucket. Powder water soluble – use a powder approved hose end sprayer or mix with water in a bucket.
MONITOR FOR PESTS
Vegetable gardens can attract friends. From aphids to deer and gophers – you will have competition for your valuable produce.
- For snails & slugs use copper tape or snail/slug control.
- For deer & rabbits use perimeter netting or vegetable garden approved repellent.
- For gophers use sonic gopher repellent or traps.
- For insects use multi-purpose insecticide – like controls containing neem or horticultural oil.
- For ants use ant bait.
MONITOR FOR FUNGUS & DISEASE
- Control your watering; remember, no overhead/over-leaf watering.
- If problems arise, control with copper or sulfur based fungicides.