ENERGY STAR® is the trusted, government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices.
The label was established for 2 purposes:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants caused by the inefficient use of energy.
- Make it easy for consumers to identify and purchase energy-efficient products that offer savings on energy bills without sacrificing performance, features, and comfort.
ENERGY STAR® labels are found on many appliances, including lighting fixtures–all easily found at Friedman’s Home Improvement. You can replace your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures and bulbs with the ENERGY STAR® labeled models and save up to $70 each year in energy costs.
Here are some frequently used light fixtures to consider if you’re looking to save energy at home:
Bathroom Vanity Lights
- The bathroom vanity is one of the highest-use fixtures in the average home. ENERGY STAR® qualified fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) provide bright, warm light, use less energy, and generate less heat than standard lighting. Keep in mind that high humidity can shorten the life of fluorescent lamps. To avoid moisture problems, control humidity in your bathroom by running your ventilation fan during and 15 minutes after showers and baths. Friedman’s offers several ENERGY STAR® qualified vanity light fixtures.
Bedroom Bed-Side Lamp
- Lighting is one of the easiest places to start saving energy. Replace light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting. Friedman’s offers a variety of stylish designs and models of lamps and fixtures.
- Friedman’s offer ENERGY STAR® qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) that provide high-quality light output, use less energy and last up to 10 times longer than standard incandescent light bulbs, saving money on energy bills and replacement costs.
Dining Room Lighting
- Conventional chandeliers with many lights can be one of the highest wattage fixtures in the home. There are now more stylish and decorative options in energy-efficient light fixtures available. Look for ENERGY STAR® qualified chandeliers, torchieres, ceiling-mounted and wall sconces at Friedman’s Home Improvement. ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting provides bright, warm light while using 75% less energy, generating 75% less heat and lasting up to 10 times longer than standard lighting.
- Remember to always turn off your lights when leaving a room. Turning off just one 60-watt incandescent bulb, that would otherwise burn eight hours a day, can save about $15 per year!
Home Office Desk Lamp
- Friedman’s offers a nice selection of ENERGY STAR® qualified fixtures and light bulbs.
- Home office lights are often used for many hours a day. Remember to always turn off your lights when leaving a room.
- Install ENERGY STAR® qualified light fixtures or replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) that have earned the ENERGY STAR®.
- Kitchen fixtures are some of the most used light fixtures in a home. Friedman’s Home Improvement has a variety of popular styles that may be just right for your kitchen, such as cabinet-mounted, ceiling-mounted, and recessed can models.
Living Room Lighting
- Living room table and floor lamps are two of the most used light fixtures in a home. Conventional torchiere lamps also can be the highest wattage light fixtures in the home. ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting fixtures and replacement bulbs can be found at Friedman’s Home Improvement if you want to replace your old, inefficient lamps.
Outside Porch Light
- The outdoor porch or post lamp is one of the highest used light fixtures in a home, and is the perfect place to install ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting products. Many compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) will fit easily into existing porch lights. Friedman’s can help you find a new ENERGY STAR® qualified outdoor fixture that saves energy through advanced CFL technology, a motion sensor and/or a photocell that turns the light on only when someone is present or on at night and off in the morning.
There are plenty of ENERGY STAR® lighting fixtures available at Friedman’s Home Improvement, so when you come visit any of our stores in Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah, ask our friendly staff to help find the right one for you. Friedman’s Home Improvement, where you’ll get the lowest price and local advice.