o you have small or big holes in your drywall that need repairing? No matter how big or small it is, a hole in the wall is an unsightly blemish that won’t go away by itself. For this Weekend Warrior Project, find out how easy it is to fix everything from small nail pops, to large gaping holes in drywall with these helpful tips from Friedman’s Home Improvement:
- Clean the hole with a blade knife.
- For small holes, fill the hole with painter's putty, making it level with the wall surface.
- Let the painter’s putty dry. After it is fully dry, lightly sand the area until it is smooth.
- Spackle over the putty. You may need to repeat this step several times until the hole disappears.
- For medium sized holes, use a drywall metal patch.
- Peel the paper backing off the metal patch, then firmly press it in place with the mesh facing outward.
- Spread drywall compound over the metal patch, feathering out the edges.
- Carefully sand the surface until it is smooth with the wall. Repeat steps b and c until the patch can no longer be detected.
- Larger holes need patches of drywall made of the same thickness as the drywall already present.
- Cut a square of drywall slightly larger than the hole by scoring one side with a blade knife and snap it apart.
- Using a pencil, draw an outline of the patch around the large hole.
- Check for electrical cords and plumbing lines to make sure you won’t be cutting them while you cut the drywall.
- Use a drywall saw to cut out the area you have drawn for the patch.
- Screw two wooden boards behind the drywall, one at the top and one at the bottom of the hole, to brace the large drywall patch and keep it in place.
- Carefully screw the drywall patch to the wooden boards so you don’t break the drywall paper.
- Spread drywall compound and add mesh around the edge of the patch to reinforce it.
- Sand area and repeat steps g and h until the patch is undetectable.
- Paint over once it's dry.
Voila! You’re done, and everyone who lives in your home will thank you for your hard work. Celebrate by inviting your friends over for drinks so you can show off your handywork!
For help selecting the drywall, tools and supplies you’ll need to make your drywall look great again, visit us at Friedman's online or at one of our Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah stores, where you'll get the lowest price and local advice