We’re approaching the end of summer and the harvest season, so what’s a gardener to do with all that bounty? Can it!
For those who didn’t grow up with a Grandmother who grew up on a farm and canned all her fruits and vegetables to last through the winter, allow us to introduce you to Canning 101.
Canning 101: What You Need to Get Started
- Canning Jars and Seals
- Wide-Mouth Funnel
- Lid Wand
- Large Pot
- Pressure Canner
- Tongs of Jar Lifters
- Clean Cloths
Canning 101: The Process of Preserving
- Sterilize your jars.
- Cut up your fruits or vegetables.
- Fill your jars with adequate space at the top for expansion.
- Process your jars by heating them in a water bath.
- Remove the processed jars and let them cool slowly.
- Label your jars and store your preserved food.
If you need help shopping for your canning jars and equipment, ask any of our friendly and helpful staff for answers. We’ll do our part to get you started on your Canning 101 project, for we also appreciate the preserved tastes of Summer!
Visit us any time either at Friedman’s online, or at one of our Santa Rosa, Sonoma, or Ukiah stores, where you’ll get the lowest price and local advice.